Sunday, January 25, 2009

Democrats In Control: Will They Blow It

Being a lefty I should be very happy: Democrat in White House, Democratic House and Senate, NY Governor Democrat and NYS Assembly and Senate Democratic. So what's the problem??? On the federal level, President Obama needs to be given the opportunity to lead. The Senate and the House must work with the President. If there are disagreements, they should be worked out and not turned into a public stand off. Some how I can't help but think that Obama's new ideals for governing will meet resistance from the political old school. I hope I'm wrong.

As far as the State goes, I think we are in trouble. Since the Governor has come out with his budget, we have heard nothing from the Legislature as to what they are planning on doing. While I appreciate the position the Governor is in, I don't think he went far enough in cutting state expenses and I have no confidence that the Legislature will do anything about that. The state's financial problem will hang around the Democrats necks unless someone takes the bull by the horns and do what is needed to get our financial ship in order.

I also think that the Governor has badly mishandled the Senate appointment. The appointment of Kristen Gillibrand is a joke. The thought that somehow this will help Paterson in 2010 is way off base. First, her record is not in line with most Democrats in NYS. Secondly, I don't see how she is going to be able to raise the necessary funds available to run and keep the seat. Thirdly, what constituency is she going to bring to Paterson?? The gun-toting farm vote??? Some how I don't see Paterson getting that vote. By the way, did you notice former Republican US Senator Al D'Amato standing at Gillibrand's side at the announcement press conference???

Let me also say that the more I read about the Caroline Kennedy situation, the more I am becoming less supportive of Paterson for 2010. There was no need for the attacks by Paterson's staff once Kennedy bowed out. But this type of sophmoric behavior makes me question this governor's leadership and political abilities. In addition, he has succeeded in pissing off two families that could raise funds: the Kennedys and the Cuomos. You notice I didn't mention the Clintons. I believe that Paterson had no intention of appointing Kennedy and that is partly a result of the Clintons who are still stinging over Caroline's endorsement of Obama. It is more apparent that the President wanted Caroline to get the appointment. What an opportunity for NYS to have a US Senator who would have a pipeline to the White House. Believe me, Kennedy trumps Schumer when it comes to Obama.

I can see a scenario where the Democrats have a bitter primary for US Senate and Governor and the Republicans winning in November over a divided NYS Democratic Party. What a shame....Is it possible that Paterson is getting his advice from the brilliant Niagara County Democratic Chairman Dan Rivera?? It sure looks that way!!!!

No comments: